Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Re-Thinking Things.

Recently I have been reading a book called "The Irresistible Revolution" by Shane Claiborne. While I haven't agreed with everything he writes, the basic message he is proclaiming rings so true with what I have been uncomfortable and confused about lately. He deals with poverty- how we see it, treat it, and attempt to deal with it. He also brings out the convicting truth of how so many Christians have only been taught how to believe, but not shown how to live as a Christian. He talks a lot about the church- how we have become so centralized on getting people into the church building and forgetting that Jesus' very commission for the church is to "Go into all the world and preach the Gospel to all nations." We have become so concerned with being relevant and learning new church growth strategies that we compromise the cost of laying our whole life down for the sake of  the Gospel and forget we are called to live a radical life of love- a life that can't help but stand out. There's so much I could say about what God has shown me through this book!
       So back to what he says about poverty. We're so quick to say that being rich isn't a sin, God has abundance for all of us, etc. While it's true God loves to bless us, how can we look at the rich man with a hundred times more than he could ever need; then turn to the starving child on the street and say "being rich isn't a sin!" I'm still not sure how I stand with this- I don't think having nice things is necessarily evil. But I'm getting more and more uncomfortable with the fact that 30,000 children starve to death every day and I am part of the richest 2% of the population. I am getting more disgusted with the fact that I have no problem buying a new outfit for the same price that I could feed hundreds of people. I'm not so sure if being rich isn't a sin after all. We're so sheltered, safe, and comfortable. Fat and happy. I want to be fully awakened to the suffering of the world. We're rotting on our own complacency- myself included. God hasn't called us to the American dream. God has called us to get and down and dirty with the lowest of the low and show them that there is another life available. Not just available- but paid for with the ultimate suffering and at the highest price. Look at the way Jesus lived! He had no place to lay his head. His disciples went out with nothing to preach the Gospel to the entire world. He ministered to lepers, prostitutes, and the demon-posessed. Maybe we just don't know what the Gospel is anymore.
          I am questioning a lot lately. I question whether I am really living the life I am supposed to. Of course I will never be perfect- but are all my plans and goals even worth pursuing? Is this what God really wants for me? How numbed am I to God's mission by the sin culture all around me? Is the church really even being anything more than a propogator of cheap grace and false inclusivity- a club? I know that there is still a remnant- there is so much good going on. There is always, always hope. I love my church. I know that God has a plan amidst the chaos and confusion. One of the most convicting things in the book for me was this: "The greatest cause of atheism is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable." God help me to stand for You, live for You, and spend my whole life in pursuit of Your mission. Help me not to waste my life.

5 comments:

  1. Wow girl, you have captured my hearts beat also. Thank you for sharing the raw truth that should illuminate the condition of the body of Christ and move us to repentance! There is no emotion in truth, it just is what it is. We are called to be followers of the Most High God, who took the lowest accomodations possible. His ministry was not contained within walls of a building. Todays American Gospel being preached in some of our churches has an arrivial date, hooked to an agenda with programs that are religiously concerned with building a Kindgom within a building rather than being lead by the Holy Spirit to go out and build the Kingdom of God! I am with you, my heart is for the homeless, the lonely, the hungry, the destitute, the poor , the sick and the needy. Go forth and reap a harvest. God bless you .. I am so grateful you are in my life you have blessed me this day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Carrie-Anne, I can't wait to read more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good Carrie~ never forget that God has called each one to a different part of that mission on the mission field. While it is true that there are starving all around us the bible tells us when the woman w/ the alabaster jar of very expensive perfume broke it & poured it over His feet, the first thing that was said was "why this waste?" "this perfume could have been sold at a high price & the money given to the poor". Jesus said she had done a beautiful thing. "THE POOR you will always have w/ you". Yes she did that to prepare Him for burial. Still it is not a sin to be rich if you are in God's will~ after all if you are in His will then He is the One who allowed you to prosper~ it's what we do w/ the $$. Another thought as I read is we must remain humble as God calls us to our ministries, heart's desires to serve Him & those who are lost, starving, w/out. It sounds like God may very well allow you to prosper Carrie, like Angelina Joli~ so you too can reach out to those w/ whom He has placed on your heart to serve & share the Truth of His word & love. What if God allowed you to become monetarily rich so you can live that kind of a life-style to travel, share, purchase the food, clothing, etc. for those you are serveing & the ministry that He has for you? Stay humble, stay in the word & be careful to not allow other's writings to influence you more than God's word. You are a very wise young lady. Keep writing~ God has given you a gift. Now take what you write & hold it as a treasure in your heart to make it reality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This may seem more like a comment on Shane's work rather than yours...sorry ahead of time :)

    But I know while I was reading IRR, I could definitely tell that he emphasized giving to the poor and such much more than almost anyone I'd ever heard. I think of two things:
    ONE: I remember the passion section of What Now. Marc Estes said something about how we all have different passions. Some are passionate about orphans, some are passionate about abortion, some about taking the Gospel to the end of the world, and some, like Shane Claiborne, are passionate about the suffering of the poor and the waste of the rich. Marc Estes goes even further to say that when we aren't passionate about what others are passionate about, we shouldn't feel as though we have to be, and that we shouldn't feel bad if we don't feel as strongly about something as others. We all have a supply
    TWO: I think of something Tonya said recently about balance. She said that we need to keep in check our passions, even ones that serve Him. If someone in the church is really passionate about worship, but not much else, it comes across as empty of Truth (we need both Spirit and Truth). If someone is passionate about Holy Spirit leading, and not much else, it will come across as just very weird. If someone is passionate about being Holy, they become caught up in legalism. So, there is a balance. Not by any means am I saying Shane's ideas are bad! (or that you need to stop your awareness of our waste!) Honestly, when I think about the thoughts like those presented in IRR, it makes me want to find "my Calcutta", or join the peace core. But one thing I love that he said was "We all have our own Calcutta". Thank goodness we don't all have to make a phone call to Mother Teresa ( I know, she's dead, but for persuasions' sake...) at 2 dollars a minute! I don't know where I was going with this...haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. comment con't:

    But your post reminded me of the quote I shared with you from "Jesus Wants to Save Christians" that talked about how we try to convince our young people about a Jesus who died to save the oppressed, while they (you and I) have never known hunger pangs for more than a couple of hours. We pull out of our 2 car garages (except for you, cause you have 1), drive in our cars for which we concern ourselves about gas millage, while we listen to our ipods, and we pull into the convenient drive-tru of our favorite Chick-Fil-A, which is right next door to our nice little shopping center... We are so blessed, but after a long time of expecting blessing rather than being thankful for blessing, we have become a bit spoiled. But I believe a nation can be changed.

    That may be the longest comment in the world.... (in fact, it was too long, so I had to make it 2)But it was good Carrie. Keep seeking the Lord, and asking what He wants you to write about. Love you!

    ReplyDelete