Monday, November 30, 2009

Break My Heart for What Breaks Yours

Many of you have probably heard the song "Hosanna" by Hillsong. The bridge goes "Heal my heart and make it clean, open up my eyes to the things unseen. Show me how to love like You have loved me. Break my heart for what breaks Yours, everything I am for Your Kingdom's cause, as I walk from earth into eternity." I have used this as my prayer many times- but I am just now realizing what a dangerous prayer that really is. It hurts to be broken for what God is broken over. It isn't a easy thing when your eyes begin to be opened to the reality of people's lostness, hopelessness, and need for God. When you begin to see people the way God sees them, you realize how incredibly judgmental and cruel you have been towards them. Who are we to judge people at face value?! I have been convicted of this so many times- being judgmental. That's the world's system, not God's. Now my prayer is- "God, expand my capacity to hurt for other people. Expand my vision to see even a small part of what You see. Help to believe beyond all I can see in the natural- because You are a God of the supernatural. "After all, You saved me! There isn't a more "impossible" thing God has done that is greater than the miracle of the Gospel.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Right now I am being challenged by the lines of the Switchfoot song, saying, "If it doesn't break your heart, it isn't love. If it doesn't break your heart, it's not enough." I've been praying that today. If we really cared about the prime creations of our God as much as we care about countless other things that take up our attention, we would begin to know the heart of God.
    (If you find this annoying, tell me - I don't want to start being what I always got annoyed at. But I found one grammar mistake...can you find it??)

    ReplyDelete