Friday, March 26, 2010

What's on my mind.

I have been a complete slacker as a blogger. Not as if it really matters anyway since only my Dad and best friend will notice! Haha.

A lot of things are on my mind right now, at 12:26 a.m. when I should most definitely be in bed. My mind won't slow down unfortunately. But the main thing that I have been thinking over a lot lately is the power of our words.

Backing up: I don't want to live with any regrets. Unfortunately, that's not possible, and no one will live regretless (that isn't a word, but it suits the purpose so I am making it one). When I think about what I most regret- it always leads to words I never said that should have been said, or words that I wish had been said that weren't, etc. We just don't realize the incredible power our words hold.


"When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. "  James 3:3-8


That says it all, and it even goes further- look up the whole chapter! If we can't control what comes out of our mouth we can't control ourselves at all! And we can't do this without God. I've tried many times. It's much easier to let sarcasm, detrimental comments, and negativity flow. It's the way of the world, and the way of our sin nature. The higher road is just that- a higher road! It's not that hard to go downhill, but the uphill climb is slow and difficult. But the results are beyond worth it! Be encouraged by what God is challenging me with- guard what comes out of your mouth, and don't keep the good stuff back. Kind, encouraging, affirming words can turn around someone's day- and even someone's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment